Location: Houston, New York City, or Remote
Type: Full time
Target Start Date: January 15, 2024
To reach Net Zero, the U.S. needs between 200-400 gigawatts of grid-scale energy storage by 2050, requiring over $1 trillion dollars in investment. Tierra Climate is an innovative technology company dedicated to unleashing the decarbonization potential of grid-scale energy storage. We’re pioneering a new category of environmental attributes for energy storage that will enable sustainability-minded companies to financially support emissions-reducing energy storage. In short, we help companies pay batteries to clean the electricity grid. We’ve raised $1.5 million in funding and plan to double our team to support our growth. Learn more about our mission here in our recent podcast interview with David Roberts on Volts.
We are hiring for an experienced and well-rounded Battery Optimization Lead who will become employee #4 at Tierra Climate. The ideal candidate will undertake a broad scope of both technical and leadership responsibilities with the primary objective of architecting, building, and maintaining Tierra Climate’s battery optimization software across multiple US markets. Therefore, the ideal candidate must appreciate the operational complexities of grid-scale batteries and have experience operating real assets in multiple deregulated power markets.
- Program and operationalize optimization models for multiple deregulated power markets (ERCOT, MISO, SPP, CAISO, PJM, NYISO, NEPOOL)
- Monitor market rule changes and implement market rules for battery participation
- Manage relationships with asset owners/operators, performance engineers, QSEs, and data vendors
- Support the origination and analysis of new business opportunities
- Develop products and services complementary to Tierra Climate’s business model with operational flexibility and user experience in mind
- Ability to work extended hours and respond swiftly when appropriate
- Bachelor’s degree in mathematics, statistics, computer science, physics, engineering, or related field
- Demonstrated understanding of renewable energy power systems, wholesale power markets, and the technical and physical challenges of grid-scale batteries
- 5+ years of post-undergraduate experience in energy industry or academia
- 3+ years of experience in the commercial operation of grid-scale battery projects in multiple US markets
- 2+ years of experience writing software in Python, R, C#, or other languages, and utilizing Linear Programming, MIP, and Convex Optimization
- Experience using collaborative software development environment (i.e. GitHub) for version tracking and code reviews
- Experience interfacing with performance engineers and physical operations of grid-scale batteries
- Experience using relational databases and using SQL or other query language
- Advanced degree (Master’s degree or PhD) in related field
- Experience with time-series forecasting, machine learning algorithms, and decision-making under uncertainty
- Prior experience leading a team of data scientists/engineers/developers
What You Offer:
- Entrepreneurial: You're personally invested in fulfilling our mission and growing the business. You’re constantly thinking outside-the-box and proposing new ideas that may influence our broader strategy and product roadmap.
- Commando Mindset: You aren‘t afraid to parachute into a metaphorical jungle, build systems from scratch, and define solutions to complex problems. You’re an independent self-starter that is adaptable to change.
- Team-Oriented: You recognize the whole is greater than the sum-of-its-parts and work well with others. You are coachable and willing to invest in others.
- Data-Driven: You believe in hypothesis testing, iterative experimentation, and incremental delivery. You value underpinning conclusions with empirical evidence over unsubstantiated claims.
What We Offer:
- Competitive Pay: Base salary ($120,000-150,000) plus a significant equity stake in an innovative company (0.75-1.40%), range depending on experience.
- Robust Health Benefits: Medical (PPO), Dental, Eye, and Life Insurance.
- Professional Advancement: Become a foundational member in a small startup with an opportunity to grow in title & responsibility.
- Flexible Work Environment: We recognize you have a life outside of work.
- Compelling Mission: Be part of something transformational in the energy storage industry.
Why Work For Tierra Climate?
We are a team of dealmakers, operators, and dreamers on a mission to accelerate electricity grid decarbonization. We aren’t afraid to roll-up our sleeves, work on difficult problems, and have fun in the process! For more on the culture we’re building at Tierra Climate, check out our EARTH values below:
- Energy: We are ambitious and unceasing in our pursuit of a better planet.
- Authenticity: We see each other as whole people with unique stories, beliefs, and backgrounds.
- Responsibility: We take ownership of individual work and share in collective outcomes.
- Trust: We value moral character over ethical compromises in our work and our community.
- Humility: We believe ‘the best ideas win’ when free from pride and arrogance.