Lowercarbon Capital backs kickass companies that make real money slashing CO2 emissions, sucking carbon out of the sky, and buying us time to unf**k the planet. We invest in early-stage companies that combine hard science with some bonkers ambitions to decarbonize all sectors of the economy, remove billions of tons of CO2 straight out of the atmosphere, and buy more time for people and ecosystems getting hit first and worst by rising temperatures.
We’re looking for a Technical Associate with a deep technical background to play a key role on our investment team. You’ll support our dealflow processes to make sure nothing falls through the cracks, drive research and diligence for companies we are evaluating for investment, dig in with founders in the throes of company-building, and undoubtedly pick up other responsibilities in the day-to-day running of a venture capital fund. In this job, you’ll work closely with the founders, partners, and climate experts in our community. For curious, driven, and independent candidates, this will be a unique opportunity to develop as a leader in the climate space.
As a Technical Associate, your time will be spent:
- Supporting dealflow: You’ll manage internal systems and processes for tracking deals, keep records updated, and make sure nothing falls through the cracks.
- Diligencing promising opportunities: You’ll do market research, competitive analysis, customer calls, expert interviews, and talk to other investors who’re looking at similar opportunities.
- Researching and building out investment theses: You’ll do background research on specific questions and areas of interest so that you and the rest of the team can come to pitch meetings prepared with strong opinions.
Skills & Background
This list of qualifications is intended to highlight characteristics we believe are most essential to have immediate success in this role, but there is a wide range of potentially relevant professional and academic experiences. While a background in investing or start-ups could be valuable in this role, we do not consider these prerequisites and look forward to meeting with a diverse group of candidates.
- Mission oriented: Perhaps most importantly, curiosity alone doesn’t drive you. You’re a climate-head intrinsically motivated by the need to meaningfully address the challenge of our times.
- Scientific training: You have a degree or training in the physical sciences or engineering, for example chemistry, physics, applied physics, chemical engineering, materials science and engineering, mechanical engineering, atmospheric sciences, geology, or another relevant STEM field.
- Technology wonk: You’re fired up about the thermochemical and electrochemical technologies we’ll need to to decarbonize the industrial sector — from manufacturing, minerals, heating and cooling, to batteries and beyond.
- Highly autonomous: You are comfortable working on and completing projects independently. You are not afraid to ask questions, but err toward having hypotheses or recommendations ready to go alongside them.
- Creative thinker: You enjoy thinking about big problems and exploring hard (and sometimes outlandish) solutions. You’re comfortable admitting what you don’t know, nurturing the creativity of others, and being open to feedback.
- Analytical prowess: You can build Excel models in your sleep. You know the right questions to ask, the right data to gather, and how to tease out insights without boiling the ocean.
- Excellent verbal and written communicator: You’re able to engage with a diverse range of stakeholders in-person and comfortable drafting memos or written works for a variety of internal and external audiences.
- Holistic research abilities: You have a curious sensibility, anchor on the right concepts quickly, and go deep enough to be credible in the targeted subject. You know where to go to track down the information you need (including experts in your network).
- Highly attentive to detail: You take pride in the accuracy and polish of your work. Whether it’s an internal memo or a conference presentation, you always sweat the details.
- Task juggler: You enjoy working on multiple projects simultaneously and can switch gears quickly.
How to Apply
If you’re interested in applying for this position, please submit an application here.
We believe diversity is a source of strength. Lowercarbon Capital is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by law.