Marble is a climate tech venture studio. Our north star is to erase billions of tons from annual greenhouse gas emissions and create a thriving future.
We partner with scientists, engineers and operators to create deeptech companies that can solve hard climate problems, and reshape multi-billion $ industries.
Together, we co-create radical solutions that slash emissions in hard-to-abate sectors, remove carbon from the atmosphere, and cool the planet. We shape the most promising ideas into new companies, funded by Marble.
We're proud to be backed by leading climate investors across Europe and the US.
About The Role
We are hiring a Venture Scientist (Associate / Senior Associate) to coordinate deeptech venture creation across several opportunity areas in climate, with a leading role on research, technical strategy, Founder support and ecosystem engagement.
You will work in close collaboration with our Partners, Associates, and our Founders to help us prioritise new venture development, recruit top talent, develop climate solutions with strong technical differentiation, and take investment decisions.
You will have the opportunity to work directly with brilliant Founders on a mission to turn the tide on the climate crisis. You will also get exposure to leadership functions such as strategy, investment decisions, portfolio management, and investor relations.
The role is ideal for a scientist with science commercialisation experience (startup, industry, VC) and a driving motivation to mitigate climate change.
This is a unique opportunity to get in at the ground floor as we are creating a new home for early stage climate deeptech in Europe.
Location: HQ in Paris. Flexible hybrid remote possible.
Language: English fluency required. French fluency ideal. Another language is a plus.
You will coordinate deeptech venture creation for several opportunity areas in our pipeline, across deep decarbonisation, carbon removal, and adaptation.
- Research. You will track emerging technologies and market developments to identify and prioritise white spaces where Marble should create new companies.
- Programme. You will work with Founders in our venture creation programme, from early ideation to technical roadmap, techno-economics, go to market, IP strategy, and more. You will lead scientific diligence throughout the process.
- Talent. You will work with our talent team to identify and recruit top technical talent with Founder potential to create companies with Marble.
- Ecosystem. Through events, networking and collaborations, will help us strengthen relationships with top scientists, industry experts, investors and founders.
- Content. You will produce memos and presentations based on your research. You may also contribute to external communications (articles, webinars, etc.)
You will have weekly interactions with some of the smartest minds in the space, through expert calls, top talent interviews, and weekly deep dive sessions.
Progress and work plans will be summarised in regular reports to Partners. You will have the opportunity to hire and manage junior colleagues.
The role may involve occasional travel for events and meetings.
Skills & Profile
Your ability to learn on the job will be more important than ticking all the boxes, but if you recognise yourself below, we would love to hear from you:
- You have a PhD level technical expertise in either chemical engineering, physical chemistry, materials science, electrochemistry, or a related discipline.
- You have a demonstrated interest in climate tech, and exposure to a sector like clean energy, industrial decarbonisation, critical minerals, mining, carbon removal, etc
- You have a builder mindset. Ideally you have already built something tangible and core to your expertise, be it a reactor, a computational model, or a product.
- You have experience in deeptech commercialisation: startup, industry, or venture capital. Ideally, you are familiar with methods for techno-economic analysis, technical roadmapping, IP strategy, and market analysis.
- You can rapidly generate insights in a new technical field by reviewing scientific literature and speaking with key experts, even outside of your core expertise.
- You are naturally inquisitive and curious, anchor on the right concepts quickly, and go deep enough to surface non-obvious insights.
- You enjoy thinking about hard climate problems to understand the core issues and elicit specific problem statements that are actionable.
- You approach radically new ideas with an open mind. You get to the salient questions quickly, and your first instinct is to ask how they scale.
- You are able to efficiently gather, process and synthesise complex information.
- You are an excellent written, visual and verbal communicator, able to build and defend a conviction, formulate investment recommendations, and present in public.
- You are self-motivated, outcome focused and action oriented. You enjoy driving multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment, and you can seamlessly transition from team player to individual focused work.
- You understand that innovation starts with people. You are at ease engaging with diverse stakeholders: scientists, engineers, entrepreneurs, investors, corporates, NGOs.
- You are approachable, empathetic, and generous.
- You are a pragmatic optimist with a driving motivation to mitigate climate change.
What We Offer
- Competitive salary (CDI) based on experience
- Participation in profits from portfolio investments
- Rapid learning curve and personal development
- HQ in central Paris. Flexible hybrid remote possible.
- Team + Founder offsites (3-4 times a year)
- 40 days off = 25 standard + 10 forfait jours + 5 over christmas and new year
- 1 paid 'learn week' to develop your expertise in emerging fields
- Benefits: health insurance (Alan), meal vouchers (Swile), 50% commute refund
- Perks: wellness (gym, sport, yoga, ...) and development allowances (books, courses, etc)
- Exposure to our network of top founders, investors, and advisors
- Working with the brightest, most driven individuals you’ll meet
- Creating the future of climate tech in Europe
How To Apply
Apply ASAP by filling this form. You will be asked for:
- Your CV + LinkedIn and other relevant profiles
- A concise cover letter telling us about you and why you want this role
We believe that a diverse group of minds is key to solving the climate crisis. We strongly encourage women and people of colour to apply.
Studies have shown that under-represented candidates are less likely to apply for an opportunity unless they feel they meet every single qualification.
We are committed to building a diverse, inclusive and mission-driven company. If you’re excited about Marble but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with what you read on our website, we encourage you to apply anyways!