Location: Houston, New York City, or Remote
Type: Full time
Target Start Date: January 15, 2024
To reach Net Zero, the U.S. needs between 200-400 gigawatts of grid-scale energy storage by 2050, requiring over $1 trillion dollars in investment. Tierra Climate is an innovative technology company dedicated to unleashing the decarbonization potential of grid-scale energy storage. We’re pioneering a new category of environmental attributes for energy storage that will enable sustainability-minded companies to financially support emissions-reducing energy storage. In short, we help companies pay batteries to clean the electricity grid. We’ve raised $1.5 million in funding and plan to double our team to support our growth. Learn more about our mission here in our recent podcast interview with David Roberts on Volts.
We are hiring for an innovative and highly motivated Senior Data Scientist who will become employee #3 at Tierra Climate. The ideal candidate will lead development of fundamental modeling and forecasting capabilities that will eventually integrate into energy asset optimization algorithms. Therefore, the ideal candidate must possess a deep understanding of statistical and machine learning models with experience in energy markets applications. In addition, there may be an opportunity to identify, recruit, train, and mentor future additions to the Data Science team
- Design and develop models to address problems in the electricity space using statistical, stochastic, and fundamental methods including decision making under uncertainty
- Stay up-to-date with the latest developments in machine learning research to evaluate whether any emerging techniques hold particular promise for addressing challenges within electricity markets
- Source, scrape, parse, and clean raw datasets as well as maintain internal database structures
- Write, optimize, and review code with attention to performance and readability
- Ability to work extended hours and respond swiftly when appropriate
- Master’s degree or Ph.D. in mathematics, statistics, computer science, physics, engineering, or related field
- Demonstrated understanding of renewable energy power systems and wholesale power markets.
- 2-3+ years of experience in electricity markets (e.g. security constrained economic dispatch, power price forecasting, power systems modeling)
- 4+ years of experience programming in Python, R, C# or other language
- 4+ years experience in data science, research science, machine learning, or similar role
- Experience with relational database architecture and SQL
- Experience using collaborative software development environment (i.e. GitHub) for version tracking and code reviews
- Experience with time-series forecasting and decision-making under uncertainty
- Familiarity with marginal emissions framework and data
- Experience with optimization models, packages, and solvers
- Prior experience leading a team of data scientists/engineers/developers
What You Offer:
- Entrepreneurial: You're personally invested in fulfilling our mission and growing the business. You’re constantly thinking outside-the-box and proposing new ideas that may influence our broader strategy and product roadmap.
- Commando Mindset: You aren‘t afraid to parachute into a metaphorical jungle, build systems from scratch, and define solutions to complex problems. You’re an independent self-starter that is adaptable to change.
- Team-Oriented: You recognize the whole is greater than the sum-of-its-parts and work well with others. You are coachable and willing to invest in others.
- Data-Driven: You believe in hypothesis testing, iterative experimentation, and incremental delivery. You value underpinning conclusions with empirical evidence over unsubstantiated claims.
What We Offer:
- Competitive Pay: Base salary ($120,000-150,000) plus a significant equity stake in an innovative company (0.75-1.40%), range depending on experience.
- Robust Health Benefits: Medical (PPO), Dental, Eye, and Life Insurance.
- Professional Advancement: Become a foundational member in a small startup with an opportunity to grow in title & responsibility.
- Flexible Work Environment: We recognize you have a life outside of work.
- Compelling Mission: Be part of something transformational in the energy storage industry.
Why Work For Tierra Climate?
We are a team of dealmakers, operators, and dreamers on a mission to accelerate electricity grid decarbonization. We aren’t afraid to roll-up our sleeves, work on difficult problems, and have fun in the process! For more on the culture we’re building at Tierra Climate, check out our EARTH values below:
- Energy: We are ambitious and unceasing in our pursuit of a better planet.
- Authenticity: We see each other as whole people with unique stories, beliefs, and backgrounds.
- Responsibility: We take ownership of individual work and share in collective outcomes.
- Trust: We value moral character over ethical compromises in our work and our community.
- Humility: We believe ‘the best ideas win’ when free from pride and arrogance.