Vice President, Boston or Montreal office
Spring Lane Capital is recruiting! Spring Lane is a private equity firm based in Boston, Massachusetts, and Montreal, Quebec, focused on providing hybrid capital – project finance and growth capital in tandem – for companies in the sustainable energy, food, transport and waste industries. We provide capital and expertise that addresses the “missing middle” growth stages for companies that have perfected a solution and outgrown early-stage funding but still lack the scale and the balance sheet to attract cheap, infrastructure-like capital. We work intensively with these companies on both operations and capital structure to scale them to mainstream status.
The Vice-president role at Spring Lane is a leadership role where candidates work closely with principals or partners to drive diligence on new deals, and support several portfolio companies on finance, operations, and strategic issues. They direct and guide the associates and analysts and help insure quality control and mentorship. Vice-presidents also generally build expertise in a couple of different industries and contribute to the firm’s thought leadership in those sectors. As emerging leaders, they are also consciously exposed to the back and middle office of the firm, to familiarize themselves with the working model of a private equity fund.
The Vice President role is probably best suited for a candidate who is 7+ years into their project finance /investment career, likely has both a graduate degree and some background in project development or infrastructure investing and is looking to build more of a presence in the sustainable private equity investing industry, and to grow with a strong emerging manager in the space. The position is in Boston preferred, but could also be in Montreal, Canada.
Spring Lane Capital is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Please email email@example.com if interested!
Detailed role description
• Own (solo develop, maintain, and/or oversee the development of) financial models – both
project and corporate – to evaluate investment opportunities
• Source new investment opportunities, lead due diligence and negotiate transaction
structures, identifying upside opportunities and mitigating key risk areas. Effectively
prioritize time spent yourself and by junior team members
• Serve as an ambassador for the firm, for both deal sourcing and community-building
purposes, with a wide range of external audiences
• Engage directly and constructively with portfolio company management via board-level
governance and relationship-building for operational improvement purposes
• Review investment portfolio performance and coordinate with Spring Lane’s portfolio
operations team in analyzing and reporting results, as well as reviewing new project
investments under prior commitments
• Oversee and mentor junior team members on discrete projects
• Identify and research interesting sub-sectors for potential investment and summarize the
findings for team consumption; use these “market maps” to drive tangible new investment
• Interact with limited partners and assist with fundraising activities
• Various ad hoc projects to be expected as part of a small team
• Early but proven project finance / development capabilities, including deep knowledge of
relevant financial models and structures
• Strong communications skills, including the ability impart key insights clearly and efficiently
to fellow Spring Lane teammates, external stakeholders, and portfolio company
• Knowledgeable about sustainability (energy, food, water, waste and transportation)
markets, potentially with early demonstration of thought leadership in these areas
• Entrepreneurial mindset – can wear many different hats and succeed in ambiguous
situations as an independent team leader
• 7+ years of professional experience in project finance, infrastructure advisory, investment
banking and/or project development with a graduate degree along with a diverse set of
relevant transaction experiences
• Passionate about returns-driven sustainability investing
• Eager to join a team in a long-term role with partner-level advancement potential
• Boston- or Montreal- based role, relocation assistance offered
• Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org