At DCVC, we support entrepreneurs who will unlock the next wave of foundational innovation, whether in biology, technology, agriculture, or space. We do so with optimism, technical and operating expertise, and relentless curiosity.
Through years of technology innovation, society has created massive prosperity but has yet to eradicate diseases like Alzheimer’s or cancer, transform massive industries to reduce inequality, or materially slow--let alone reverse--climate change. In addition to these pressing long-term challenges, humanity is ill-prepared to be resilient in moments of immediate crises like natural disasters or global pandemics.
As we embark on our next phase of growth, we are looking to add an Associate (pre-MBA role) to join our investment team. We are seeking someone who will assist in all aspects of DCVC’s investment process and have a broad range of meaningful responsibilities across the organization.
The Associate role
- Build portfolio company financial models: income statement projections, balance sheet projections including capital expenditure modeling via debt and equity financing structures and analysis of cost of capital for financing options.
- Extensive capitalization table modeling
- Market research including modeling of total addressable market size for portfolio company’s products.
- Key member of deal team that will assist in the evaluation of potential investments through founder and financial due diligence, market research, competitive analysis and drafting of Investment Memorandum that will incorporate market analysis, due diligence findings and financial models.
- Coordinate with portfolio companies for periodic reporting and conduct financial analyses to inform DCVC portfolio management and reporting to Limited Partners – maintain and update the Firm’s portfolio management systems.
- Exit analysis including M&A modeling, comparable public company trading analysis and market trading data analysis.
- Contribute to DCVC’s thought leadership efforts.
The Associate role is a fit if...
- You have a degree in a Deep Tech-relevant field of science or technology.
- You have extensive financial modeling and capital markets experience especially within an investment banking environment.
- You are proficient with the full Microsoft Office suite, ideally with advanced Excel capabilities.
- You can distill and synthesize complex information and effectively communicate it to a variety of constituencies in written and verbal mediums.
- You are energized by learning about emerging technologies, software, robotics and digital transformation of legacy industries.
- You are passionate, proactive and eager to build meaningful connections within the venture/startup ecosystem, and beyond.
- You have an entrepreneurial mindset, are a self-starter, don’t need to be told exactly what to do, and are comfortable with working in unstructured environments.
- You are collaborative and a team player that is always willing to step up to do what’s needed to advance the interests of the organization.
- You are highly accountable and live and work by extremely high ethical standards.
- This role is structured to be a pre-MBA/graduate program of approximately 2 years where you will gain a deep understanding of what it means to be a venture capitalist.
- You will have exposure to everything a venture capitalist does: investment thesis development, financial analysis, company incubation, portfolio company support, fund management, firm operations, investment decision making, and fundraising.
- As a member of the investment team, you will gain broad exposure and have the opportunity to work with, and learn from, individuals across the Partnership.
- We will invest in your professional development with hands-on mentorship and training.
This role is located in Palo Alto, CA