Modern Electron is a sustainable heat and power technology company that helps buildings and homeowners save money, reduce carbon emissions, and increase resiliency. Our mission is to decarbonize building energy with our breakthrough combined heat-and-power products and direct gas to hydrogen technology. As a venture backed startup with $40+M raised and support from prominent investors like Bill Gates, we have the resources and team to truly change the world. Our team is rapidly growing to meet demand for our solutions, and we have enormous potential for learning, impact, and personal growth. We value our ability to move fast to outpace larger companies and achieve what they cannot.
Modern Electron is expanding its Product team to help bring our combined heat-and-power appliance to market and build out a product roadmap for additional decarbonization products. At Modern Electron, Product Managers have a dynamic and exciting role encompassing business development, market research, developing product roadmaps alongside the CEO, CTO, and VPs of Business and Product Development, strategic planning, techno-economic analysis, representing voice of customer to internal technology teams, and voice of the company to partners. This position will report to the VP of Business Development with dotted-line reporting to the CEO as well.
Experiences and qualifications we look for:
- You have worked in a hardware product management role.
- You’ve created and owned product roadmaps and/or key elements of product roadmaps while successfully bringing at least a first of its kind (V1) hardware tech product to market.
- You have product management experience with a technical product, which has entered a system integration & manufacturing process and ended up in a larger final product.
- You have experience driving product tradeoffs, balancing impact of commercial success with technical complexity.
- You have built relationships and worked with external partners and customers and can influence internal and external stakeholders to drive decision-making.
- You can balance analytical and quantitative decision making against qualitative consumer preferences.
- You have experience working cross-functionally with functions including engineering, R&D, finance, and marketing.
- You are a best-in-class communicator for a broad range of internal and external forums, including (i) communicating commercial needs to technical team members, (ii) communicating technical considerations to non-technical individuals, and (iii) great storytelling to motivate your cross-functional team.
- You have worked in a fast-paced environment such as a startup.
- Product experience in energy, especially one which reduces energy demand and carbon emissions would be helpful.
- Degree in engineering or physical sciences would be helpful. An MBA would be an asset.
Responsibilities in this role include:
- Develop and define product requirements by synthesizing and balancing the needs of external customers vis-à-vis internal technology. Own market requirements, translate to product requirements, and help with product definition.
- Understand competitive landscape and where Modern Electron fits in.
- Create and maintain Modern Electron’s product roadmap, linking it with our tech advancements.
- Work with our team to identify win-win solutions to technical and commercial challenges.
- Serve as expert on customer and external partner needs and requirements, understanding a range of issues from human-centered design to energy and appliance regulations.
- Co-own and drive new product development and introduction with Engineering and Operations/Manufacturing; particularly launch plan, marketing/sales documentation and internal product documentation.
- Think creatively about go-to-market strategies and business models to use both at initial launch of products and as Modern Electron grows.
- Identify new opportunities and markets to pursue, and prepare analysis necessary for cross-functional decision making and business cases for new product introduction.