Lowercarbon Capital backs kickass companies that make real money slashing CO2 emissions, sucking carbon out of the sky, and buying us time to unf**k the planet. We invest in companies that combine hard science with bonkers ambition to defossilize the economy, remove billions of tons of CO2 straight out of the atmosphere, and buy more time for the people and places getting hit first and worst by the changing climate.
We’re looking for an investor to play a key role in supporting Lowercarbon’s follow-on investments in companies that reach growth stages. As the companies in our portfolio execute on their ambitions at a larger and larger scale, we’re in a position to help them move even faster. As a Principal, you’ll support those efforts by evaluating and underwriting those opportunities with a fresh pair of eyes.
As a Principal focused on growth-stage investments, you will spend your time:
- Driving diligence processes: You’ll lead our team’s diligence for growth stage opportunities, focusing on making follow-on investments in our ever-growing portfolio of planet-healing companies. You’ll work with a high degree of autonomy to prepare investment memos, hammer out terms, and support entrepreneurs to close out rounds.
- Financial and operational modeling: You’ll dive into a company’s data and financials, bringing a quantitative edge to our internal familiarity with the team and business. Your work will focus on modeling growth pathways and capital requirements for companies building across a diverse set of technologies and business models.
- Researching competitive and market dynamics: You’ll deep dive into market dynamics and competitive landscapes to better understand companies’ growth potential. This could include market research, customer calls, expert interviews, and more.
- Transaction support: You’ll work on closing out deals, from playing a hand in negotiations to helping to structure terms.
- Portfolio tracking: You’ll become an expert on the later stage companies in our existing investment portfolio, plugging into internal systems and processes for following and supporting these companies’ development and building out new ones as needed.
Skills & Background
This list of qualifications is intended to highlight characteristics we believe are most essential to have immediate success in this role, but there is a wide range of potentially relevant professional and academic experiences.
- Relevant investment experience: Candidates ideally have 5+ years of investment experience with significant exposure to late-stage venture or growth equity transactions.
- Highly autonomous: You are comfortable working on and completing projects independently. You are not afraid to ask questions, but err toward having hypotheses or recommendations ready to go alongside them.
- Analytical prowess: You can build Excel models in your sleep. You know the right questions to ask, the right data to gather, and how to tease out insights without boiling the ocean.
- Knowledge of the funding universe: You understand the range of financing options available to companies as they mature. You’re eager to help companies craft the strongest fundraising plans to fit their individual businesses, incorporating both equity and non-dilutive financing as appropriate.
- Self-directed operator: You are highly independent in your day-to-day work and happy to drive projects forward solo, while expertly incorporating your work with the broader team’s process and agenda.
- Excellent verbal and written communicator: You’re able to engage with a diverse range of stakeholders in-person and comfortable drafting memos or written works for a variety of internal and external audiences.
- Holistic research abilities: You have a curious sensibility, anchor on the right concepts quickly, and go deep enough to be credible in the targeted subject. You know where to go to track down the information you need (including experts in your network).
- Highly attentive to detail: You take pride in the accuracy and polish of your work. Whether it’s an internal memo or a conference presentation, you sweat the details.
- Task juggler: You enjoy working on multiple projects simultaneously and can switch gears quickly.
- Mission oriented: Perhaps most importantly, curiosity alone doesn’t drive you. You’re driven by the need to meaningfully address the challenge of our lifetime.
How to Apply
If you’re interested in applying for this position, please submit an application here.
We believe diversity is a source of strength. Lowercarbon Capital is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by law.